Friday, April 17, 2009

A new purpose in life



I am currently in Sayulita, Mexico on a three-week trip. My original plan was to come down here, mess around for a bit - lie on the beach, drink margaritas, the usual vacation stuff.

But yesterday I had an epiphany: I have a clear and very serious reason to be here. My job here in Sayulita, as I’m hereby declaring, is to find the very best fish taco in town. (Or as I've been asking the locals in my mangled Spanish: "The most better fish taco of everyone in all the town.")

This may seem like an easy task in a village the size of my San Francisco flat. However, every restaurant in Sayulita offers fish tacos. And every building in Sayulita happens to be a restaurant. Even if it’s a private home, they have a few tables outside and a heavy-set grandmotherly lady frying up some tacos de pescados. Then there are the street carts, which pop up anywhere from la plaza to la playa selling fish and shrimp tacos.

This is a job I will take very seriously for my next week here. Be it marlin or mahi mahi, deep fried or grilled, corn or flour tortilla-ed, I will rest at nothing until I’ve found the Best Fish Taco in Sayulita.

It’s good to have goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment